Legends to Induct Five

New Hampshire Legends of Hockey Announces Hall of Fame Class of 2013

The New Hampshire Legends of Hockey announces the Hockey Hall of Fame Class of 2013 Inductees. The Annual Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony and Luncheon is scheduled for Sunday October 27th the Grappone Convention Center in Concord.  Tickets will be available beginning September 1st to the general public.

In addition, each year the Legends and the Monarchs salute institutions and other local hockey programs and this year we are recognizing the Concord High School boys and girls' hockey programs.  The Tides long history for the boys dates back to the 1933-34 season and prior to that, the CHS Independents began play during the winter of 1920-21.  The girls first year of play was during the 1993-94 season.
The following five individuals have established outstanding personal hockey histories.  Here are the newest members of the Hall of Fame by category.

Ted Rice (Died on November 14, 1993)
Born in 1907, Rice was proclaimed by his teammates as "one of the greatest players in the city's history". He had all the skill and natural ability for the game of hockey. Ted's passion for the game began when he was a sophomore at Concord High School at the age of fifteen.  There was no organized hockey at the high school so Ted captained the West End Team at White Park and in 1926.  Word of Ted's talent and skill for the game spread gaining the attention of a group of men organizing the first Concord Hockey Club. Manager George Harkins, along with former college stars Dr. Montfort Haslem, and Douglas Everett, (later a 1932 U.S. Olympic silver medalist), all proclaimed that Ted was the finest hockey player that they had seen in the city of Concord. It was while playing with Everett and Haslam that Ted gained wider recognition as one of New Hampshire's well known players in hockey circles.  Rice played six seasons for Sacred Heart in Concord including five straight seasons beginning in 1937-38 through 1941-42 then again in the 1945-46 season.  He played in 60 of the 76 games the Hearts played over those years and the team won 45 of those games.  It was not uncommon for Rice to have a couple goals in any game he played.  He also played for the Millville Bruins of Concord, several coming against his former Sacred Heart team mates.  In six games Millville won two, tied one and lost three.  For the next two decades Ted played on many New Hampshire teams, traveling to Littleton to play for the Storm Kings; the North Conway Hockey Club, Abenaqui Indians of Wolfeboro and the Manchester Hockey Club.  He was granted a tryout with the Boston Bruins Semi Pro Cub team but later was invited to play with the Springfield Indians, the No. 1 semi pro Farm team of the New York Rangers. He declined this spot due to and family and financial obligations.  Ted was just one of a few players who played for all three (Concord Hockey Club, Sacred Heart and Millville Bruins) local teams during the golden era of senior hockey in Concord.  He retired from active competition in 1943 after twenty years of playing.  He was honored with an article in the Concord Monitor announcing his retirement captioned, "Time to Retire", "Concord's "Mr. Hockey" Announces His Retirement". His young friend John "Tarzan" Healy captioned Ted as the Eddie Shore of Concord Hockey.  In 1943 Ted became a member of the Eastern Hockey Officials Association.  Some of the teams Ted officiated were Concord High School, New Hampton and Tilton Prep Schools.

Mark Stuckey of Oberbozen, Italy
Mark learned to skate at the age of four under the guidance of his father, Dan Stuckey.  Growing up on the campus St. Paul's School where Dan taught and coached boys' hockey.  Fifty years after the legendary Hobey Baker graduated from St. Paul's Mark was skating on the same black ice on the lower pond.  His first organized hockey was at White Park where Russ Martin initiated the Concord Youth Hockey program with the help of several other local businessmen in the winter of 1959-60, the first youth hockey organization in the state.  In the fall of 1967 Mark left Concord and enrolled at the Hotchkiss School in Connecticut in staying four years and graduating in 1971.  His next stop was Princeton University, the same place Hobey Baker 1914 skated along with his father Dan Stuckey '42 all starring for the Tigers. Mark was awarded The Hobey Baker Trophy (team award) in 1971-72.  The trophy is awarded annually in memory of Hobart Amory Baker '14. to the freshman hockey player who, among his classmates, in play, sportsmanship and influence has contributed most to the sport.   With the long history of hockey at Princeton, Mark set a new goal scoring mark for freshmen in the 1971-72 season and he was also the leading goal scorer for the Tigers his senior season.  A top player at Princeton Stuckey headed overseas and played nineteen years of professional hockey in Italy and Switzerland before retiring at the age of 40. He was an outstanding skater-fast, strong with great stick skills including his renowned sweep-check and outstanding slap shot.  His first stop was in Bolzano in northern Italy playing for Renon of the Italian "A" League where he played from 1975-76 through the 1979-80 season.  He was the leagues leading scorer on two occasions and a third season he strictly played defense and finished the season with the second most goals in the league.  In the spring of 1975 he attended the Eastern tryouts for the U.S. Olympic Team who were selecting players in preparation for the 1976 Olympics.  The Head Coach was the legendary Bob Johnson and Stuckey was one of the last guys released at the end of tryouts.   In 1980-81 he crossed into Switzerland, playing for Dubendorf for three years through 1982-83 season in the Swiss "B" League. He led the league in goals his first year.  In one game he was playing against 1980 U.S. Olympians Mark Pavelich and John Harrington and Stuckey tallied all five goals.  He returned to the "A" League in 1986-87 playing for six seasons through the 1991-92 season playing the first five for Hockey Club Fassa.  During that time, Mark received his Italian citizenship and was selected and played for the Italian National Team in Fassa, Italy.  He finished his professional playing career in the Italian "B" League, as Player Coach for Renon where he retired after the 1993-94 season.  After his playing career he moved right into coaching professionally for six years then took a break from hockey for three or four seasons.  He later returned to coach professionally and over the last five years has coached in the local youth hockey program in Renon.

Harvey L. Smith of Concord, NH
Harvey Smith started broadcasting high school hockey for WKXL radio in Concord, NH in 1979, joining play by play announcer Jim Rivers to form a broadcast duo that would broadcast more than 1,000 games together, in all sports.   They  became the longest running continuous broadcast team in high school sports in the country--a record that may still stand despite Harvey's retirement four years ago.  Smith would continue in his role of hockey color analyst for more than 30 years until his retirement from the booth.  A teacher at Concord High School, he brought his understanding love of the student athlete into the broadcast both offering keen insights to the broadcast.  Harvey was ahead of his time when it came to including the interview of the high school athlete in the broadcasts.  Many media outlets at the time often avoided interviewing the student athlete, a practice that is commonplace today.  His interviews with young athletes were always informative and done with sensitivity.  In compiling statistics over the years, Harvey Smith was second to none.  Not only did he bring a keen insight into the game of hockey, but the information that he added combined to make the broadcasts of high school hockey extremely popular in the capital region of the state.  On occasion, Smith was hired by media outlets in other communities to join Rivers in broadcasting their high school games.  During his career, Harvey Smith was also part of the hockey coverage provided by the Yankee Cable Network in Concord.    Ken Cail worked some games with Harvey and Ken recently said "In all my years in broadcasting sports in New Hampshire, Harvey Smith was easily one of the most prepared and knowledgeable color commentators that I have been associated with.  His attention to detail and his dedication to the game of hockey translated into outstanding coverage of the sport on the high school level."  He was clearly a pioneer in color commentary for the high school broadcasts for more than 30 years.  When others were merely explaining what was happening on the ice, Harvey Smith always took it a step further through his dedication to both the game and the student athletes.

Dick Bradley of Averill Park, NY
Bradley graduated from Watertown, MA High School in 1947.  He was a talented goalie for the high school hockey team.  He was selected as the Bay State League goaltender and a member of the state All-Star Team. Upon graduation he attended Boston University and participated with the BU team in three NCAA Hockey Final Four National Championships graduating in 1952.  He was drafted by the Montreal Canadians and went to training camp with their farm team the Buffalo Bisons during his sophomore through senior years at BU.  Tryouts were being held for the 1952 Olympic team and he returned to Boston to seek an Olympic berth. He had great success and was selected as a member of the 1952 US Olympic team. Unfortunately, it was learned he earned some money as a professional and had to be release from the team.  Walter Brown, owner of the Boston Bruins, offered and Bradley accepted the job to be the spare goalie at Bruins home games. In 1954 Richard Bradley accepted a physical education teaching position with the Berlin, NH Public School System and to coach hockey.  When he and his family arrived in Berlin, they immediately learned of the intense rivalry between Berlin High School and Notre Dame High School (ND). Relationships between the hockey aspects of the two schools were strained, at best. The Notre Dame Arena was covered, owned by the parochial school system, and had a natural ice surface. Naturally, ND had the best time for all practice sessions and Berlin was limited to one, maybe two practices per week at questionable times of the day or night. During that period, ND was a wealthy parochial school system.  Since 1947, the ND hockey team played a 20 plus game schedule against talented teams from Maine and Canada while Berlin played ten games or less.  However, Berlin had some great student-athletes and on every cold day before school started they could be seen either on the ice surface near the recreation department on Green Street or on a small pond off Route 110. However, what they needed was more structured ice time and many of his former BU team mates and friends offered to help. Charlie Holt then coach and Athletic Director at Northwood School in Lake Placid, provided Berlin with free ice time. Likewise, so did Bob Priestly coach at Norwich University as well as Hebron Academy in Maine.  Within two years, Bradley increased the number of games to 16 and eventually 20 plus games.  All of his hard work began to pay off when Berlin tied ND in regular season play in 1958, then defeated them in 1962 and won their first NHIAA title in 1963, with three straight one goal victories against ND during the 1962-63 season. These great games helped Berlin establish itself the city as "Hockey Town USA," drawing thousands of spectators from three different states to watch these two teams play. Bradley coached the Mountaineers for the last time during the 1964-65 season and finished as the state runner-up.  He coached the Mountaineers to two NHIAA State Titles and were runner-up on six additional occasions.  Bradley had to overcome circumstances that are not confronted by many, if any coaches in today's environment. He coached and built a program that became a powerhouse in New Hampshire and New England for another eleven years after he left his position.

Beatrice "Bea" Lambert (Died on March 23, 2005)
Born in 1911, Beatrice Lambert as a young girl became an avid hockey fan because her father.  Octave Lambert would bring her to the St. Laurent hockey rink on Pleasant Street to watch the Berlin Athletic Association hockey team play against teams throughout northern New England and Canada.  The Brown Company hired several Canadians to work in the Mill and to play for the Berlin Hockey Club which later became the Berlin Hockey Association. They played great hockey that made front page news in the Berlin Reporter during the 1920's.  Once in high school she enjoyed watching the Berlin High School hockey team.  She graduated from Berlin High School in 1929 and, after working for the National Recovery Administration, was hired by the City of Berlin as the book keeper for the Welfare Department in 1934. Three years later the Berlin Maroons Hockey Club was formed and Beatrice became one of their top fans. Later in 1948 she travelled to Toledo, Ohio to watch them play in the National AHA championships. During this time the Berlin Maroons were on a roll, won four more New England titles and the Nationals in 1954. It was then that she was fully involved and became the team's secretary. She organized fund raising activities and wrote the publicity for the local papers.  In 1959 the Berlin Maroons decided to become incorporated under the laws of the State of New Hampshire 5000 shares were issued for sale at $1.00 each. Lambert was formally elected as the secretary and book keeper.  As secretary, Beatrice took detailed minutes of the Maroon's all board meetings, which were held three times a month during the season.  Lambert would type all of the correspondence to Attorneys, the press, and other teams.  Bea came through again when the Maroons had financial difficulties, organizing several fund raising events every year.  In addition, she was the team statistician and kept an accurate accounting of every team member and team statistics each year which were published in the newspaper at the end of the hockey season.  She also had the job of tracking the pay that each player would accumulate for games and practice time.  It is well known, she was one of the major and key contributors to keep the Maroons organization strong throughout their years.  In 1968 she was elected as the first woman to serve on the board of directors of the New England Amateur Hockey Association. She was a director for three years, then NEAHA secretary for another seven years. Bea was also named "Miss Hockey of New England" by the United States Amateur Hockey Association and presented with a plague recognizing her as such.  Then in 1969 came one of the most tragic incidents ever to occur in Berlin.  The Notre Dame Arena collapsed which resulted in the death of a 15 year old boy hockey player. As the community recovered from this terrible event, they began to organize and plan for the rebuilding of the Arena. Beatrice Lambert was one of the leaders in this effort. Beatrice took charge of the fund-raising by collecting and recording donations.  As a result of this team work, a new hockey arena was ready for hockey less than one-year later.  Beatrice was also a member of the Athletic Boosters Club for 25 years. The club raised funds to aid various sports organizations, including little league baseball, youth hockey and the Berlin Maroons. 

About the New Hampshire Legends of Hockey
Our organization's mission is to preserve New Hampshire's hockey history.  Each year, Association directors raise funds to promote hockey history and heritage, and support hockey development in the state.  Many of our hockey artifacts are on display around the state and images are available to view through our on-line museum.   We invite you to visit our website at www.nhlegendsofhockey.com for more information about our organization and events. 

Featured Sponsors

Bauer Bogacz Photography St Paul's School Vachon Clukay & Co. PC